Login |  Register |  help

Si Live- Farrel nips Crusaders

Posted Saturday, May 26, 2012 by SIlive.com

Archbishop Stepinac


5/25/20124:30 p.m.


Rini's late goal, goalie Lio's check in waning seconds lifts Monsignor Farrell to CHSAA New York City A lacrosse championship

, May 25, 2012 11:02 p.m.

Monsignor Farrell's Mark Rini, left, scored the game-winning goal with 35.8 seconds remaining to help the Lions capture the CHSAA New York City A lacrosse championship over Archbishop Stepinac. - (Bill Lyons/Staten Island Advance)

When Monsignor Farrell lost by one goal in the CHSAA New York City A lacrosse championship last year, Mark Rini and Joseph Lio took it a little harder than their teammates.

Due to injuries, one of the Lions’ top scorers (Rini) as well as their experienced goalie (Lio) only played a portion of the game.

So when Farrell advanced to the final again this year, Rini and Lio were determined to make an impact.


The story went exactly as they’d hoped as Rini tallied the winning goal — the last of his five in the game — with 35.8 seconds left and Lio made a huge check with under 10 seconds remaining to lift the Lions over Archbishop Stepinac 9-8 in the A championship game Friday night in Oakwood.

“This is just an unbelievable feeling, especially for all of the returning varsity guys who fell short by one goal last year. These kids really, really worked hard,” said Farrell head coach Steve Lyman. “In the locker room we talked about reaching greatness. And you don’t reach greatness in one day. It’s over the course of months and months of hard work and dedication. And all these guys have it.”

“This time I was trying to make a difference on the team and trying to make it happen for our guys because we have a lot of young guys,” said Lio, who missed the second half of last year’s game with a broken thumb.

The victory puts Farrell in the Intersectional A championship against Long Island A champ St. Mary’s. The game will be Tuesday in Manhasset, L.I. at a time to be announced. Farrell topped St. Mary’s 7-6 in the regular season.

Top-seeded Farrell held a four-goal lead entering the final quarter, but the second-seeded Crusaders came storming back midway though the stanza as Matthew Butler scored and Andrew Murray tallied twice to cut the deficit to 8-7 with 2:22 remaining.

The Lions gained possession and, after a timeout, Rini took a shot that was saved by Bobby Dinapoli. Out of a timeout, Stepinac found Eddie Schwartz open in front and he got a shot past Lio to knot the game with 1:05 left.

“Before they scored that (tying) goal, Joseph Lio came up to me and said, ‘I really don’t want to go to overtime, so if they score, you have to score that next one,’” said Rini.

And that’s exactly what happened as Farrell gained possession and eventually fed the ball to Rini by the left sideline near midfield. The midfielder — who missed most of last year’s championship with a twisted ankle — circled around his defender and raced through an opening before whipping a low shot past Dinapoli from about 15 yards out for the go-ahead goal.

“The whole game they were pressing out on me and they left the lane open, which is why I scored so many goals,” said Rini. “I got one move on him and he went the other way so the lane was wide open.

“I just wanted to get it in the net,” added the midfielder about his shot attempt.

On the faceoff, Farrell eventually gained possession but Stepinac quickly forced a turnover and raced toward Lio’s cage. With time winding down, a pass found its way to an open Spencer O’Toole near the left crease.

The junior took the pass and cocked back to shoot, but Lio raced out of his net and checked the player to force a high shot on goal.

“I think they fed to him. He was the cutter and he cut through and he got the ball right on crease,” said Lio. “Usually that’s one-on-none and a goal right away, so I didn’t want to stay and wait for him to make a fake on me. I had to take actions into my own hands.”

The high shot never went out of bounds so the remaining time ticked off and Farrell’s players swarmed the field in celebration.

“The goal before that, he came out and he should not have and it went in. He caught a little flack from me for that,” said Lyman. “He looked at me after he made that (game-saving) play with a big smile and just said, ‘I thought I wasn’t supposed to come out coach.’ I had nothing to say.” 

NOTES: Farrell’s last lacrosse title came in 1995 when it captured the New York City Metropolitan Regional HS Championship with a 7-6 victory over Fordham Prep ... Freshman Kevin Buono had three goals and sophomore Paul Pizzo added the final tally for Farrell. Rini also had two assists ... Lio finished with 11 saves ... The Lions held a 6-1 lead at halftime ... During the teams’ first encounter this season, Stepinac netted three goals in the final two minutes of an 11-9 Farrell win.

This page was created in 0.1719 seconds on server 132